.



I'm a 37-year old Seattle girl who was bitten by the travel bug on my first tour of Europe in 2004. This personal blog follows my attempts to visit as many countries as I can, as often as my budget will allow. Since starting this blog in 2007, I've also worked as a freelance copywriter for an online travel publication. This only served to add even more must-see locations to my already extended list.
Follow me as I try to balance "real life" with exploring the world, all while trying to conquer a wickedly ironic case of homesickness.



7.10.10

Review: Boston, Philadelphia, New England

It took me awhile to form opinions on Boston and Philadelphia, but I think I've figured out why: we just didn't spend enough time in either of them.

We took a morning train into Philadelphia from New York, wandering mostly in the historic center of the city with a quick trip up to City Hall and the art museum before hopping right back on the train back to NYC. And while it is thick with history in those few blocks, there were a lot of lines to wait in over and over and over again. Both the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall were suprisingly smaller than I expected. I really liked the abstract outlines of Benjamin Franklin's house. I enjoyed eating a cheesesteak in the park behind Independence Hall. Elfreth's Alley was pretty. And Philly's City Hall is a beautiful building. I also liked the interior of 30th Street Station.

Boston...oh, Boston. First of all, I got sick in Boston, and that always makes traveling a bit tougher. Secondly, Boston was at the end of our whirlwind trip, and we were starting to get pretty worn out. Boston started out really well. I adored our hotel, the Omni Parker House. Our Freedom Trail walk started out well, too. I really enjoyed Boston Common, Faneuil Hall Marketplace, and the Italian neighbourhoods in the North End. However, once we started crossing the river to the USS Constitution, I started spiraling downward. We completely nixed Bunker Hill, and by the time we got back to the hotel room, I was pretty sure I was getting sick. Other than venturing out for Chinese food, a quick trip to Harvard Yard and wandering around Boston Public Library and Copley Square, we stayed in the hotel room for the rest of our stay in the city. But, as stated earlier, it was a really fabulous hotel room!

New England woo'd me completely. We drove along the Atlantic Coast from Hampton Beach, New Hampshire to Kennebunkport, Maine, and I wanted nearly every single home I saw. Lighthouses, Cape Cod houses, expansive picture windows, cedar shingles, rocky shores...I was in love! I felt like I could live there. I'm a born and bred Pacific Coast girl, but I left New England pretty certain that I prefer the Atlantic Coast. Kennebunkport was fun, though a bit touristy, a bit overpriced, a bit crowded. I'd love to rent a car and just go wander through those little towns and old homes someday. Absolutely GORGEOUS!

2 comments:

smitten by britain said...

I love the North East as well, but before you start packing, I would suggest you return in the winter! ;-)

Lisa E said...

Ah, very true, my friend! I have absolutely ZERO winter driving skills. I'd probably die. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails