.



I'm a 37-year old Seattle girl who was bitten by the travel bug on my first tour of Europe in 2004. This personal blog follows my attempts to visit as many countries as I can, as often as my budget will allow. Since starting this blog in 2007, I've also worked as a freelance copywriter for an online travel publication. This only served to add even more must-see locations to my already extended list.
Follow me as I try to balance "real life" with exploring the world, all while trying to conquer a wickedly ironic case of homesickness.



23.7.10

Let's talk travel mags

I am such a sucker for travel magazines. I get lost in the expansive selections at the large bookstore chains, trying to justify $60 for a huge pile of glossy pages. This is even worse when you consider that I have subscriptions to four monthly travel publications, as it is. And I definitely have favourites:

Budget Travel: My favourite usable travel mag. The tips and articles in BT are entirely functional, and it is always full of clever ideas to stretch your budget and make travel easier. I usually rip into BT as soon as I see my copy in my post box; it's like talking travel with a friend. I especially love the traveler's tips and the humourous stories posted in every issue.

National Geographic Traveler: My favourite daydream travel mag. I know I won't be able to do half the adventurous things in Nat Geo Traveler, but I love to imagine myself trying. It is a wonderful inspiration for images and ideas! Daisann McLane's Real Travel column is quite possibly my favourite thing to read in the entire travel world.

Afar: I'm pretty sure Afar is relatively new to the scene, but I already really like what I see. Describing themselves as "uncommon travel" and "in pursuit of passion", this publication addresses how travel can change the perception of the traveler and how to travel while remaining conscious of those effects. I've only thumbed through a single issue, but my subscription slip is already in the mail.

Smithsonian's Travels with Rick Steves: Smithsonian publications have just begun to publish a proper magazine for Rick Steves; the premier issue is on newsstands now. I'm curious, but I hesitate purchasing a copy only because I already have every other newletter he has ever released. I'm curious to see how much new material there will be in this magazine, or if it is just more of the same advice he has already published elsewhere.

Lonely Planet Travel: When I can get my hands on an import copy from across the pond (which is just about never), this one is usually pretty useful. Lots of tips and ideas laid out in a very easy to read way. I just wish it was available in the States! (hint, hint!)

Travel + Leisure: I see T+L as the sort of old-standard travel magazine. Some usable information, lots of filler. They tend to run a lot of "Travel Awards!" and other similarly hyped campaigns, which end up making it not as useful as others. But the articles and photography can still be enlightening.

Condé Nast Traveler and Town and Country Travel: I confess, these luxury travel mags usually incense me. While their spreads are stunning and it can be fun to daydream that one day I could win the lottery and actually afford to consider these types of trips, I usually just end up closing the back cover painfully aware of how detached from the real world the rich can be. I mean, just how many ads for Rolexs and diamonds does a travel publication need, really?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails