.



I'm a 37-year old Seattle girl who was bitten by the travel bug on my first tour of Europe in 2004. This personal blog follows my attempts to visit as many countries as I can, as often as my budget will allow. Since starting this blog in 2007, I've also worked as a freelance copywriter for an online travel publication. This only served to add even more must-see locations to my already extended list.
Follow me as I try to balance "real life" with exploring the world, all while trying to conquer a wickedly ironic case of homesickness.



26.5.10

Salish Lodge

For our anniversary, Hubs and I escaped to The Salish Lodge (yes, this is the hotel in "Twin Peaks"). I mentioned this briefly on my personal blog, but I thought I'd leave write a proper review for anyone actually considering a stay at the hotel.

Overall, we had a lovely time. It is a nice combination of pampered luxury in the midst of a rugged, woodsy landscape. Here is what I liked:

The food is good. Really good. You'll eat A LOT.

The average-sized rooms offer many unique amenities, like a huge, jetted tub and a wood-burning fireplace.

Comfortable beds

The staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Now, a few warnings. First of all, while planning this weekend, I kept reading the phrase, "Seattle's premiere luxury resort and spa" everywhere. That is so misleading, and as a frequent traveler and travel researcher, it really bugs me. The Salish Lodge is not in Seattle. In terms of accommodations, I wouldn't even qualify it as convenient to Seattle. It's a thirty mile drive over bridges and an island, through several cities and up into the foothills of the mountains that could easily translate into an hour of driving in ugly traffic. Don't think you're going to have a view of the Space Needle from your window. Also, it's a quiet mountain area with limited tourist resources versus the plethora of the options in the city. Don't stay at Salish if your goal is to see the sites of Seattle; stay at Salish if you want a quiet, spa-like escape up in the mountains.

Secondly, Salish is expensive. In all the cities of all the countries I've ever stayed in, including some really ugly currency exchange rates, Salish is officially the most money we've ever spent on a hotel room. Part of that expense is the delicious, award-winning food; it's not as if you don't enjoy it. But it's certainly not budget-friendly. For example, bubble bath to enjoy that aforementioned tub costs $45, $65 if you'd like them to draw the bath for you. Dinner in the dining room is $95 per person. All vehicle parking is by valet, and while the cost of valet is included if you're staying at the lodge, the gratuity is not.

Overall, The Salish Lodge is one of those worth-it-once experiences. I especially recommend that you have breakfast in the dining room and request a table overlooking Snoqualmie Falls. We really enjoyed watching the water peek out through the fog.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails