.



I'm a 37-year old Seattle girl who was bitten by the travel bug on my first tour of Europe in 2004. This personal blog follows my attempts to visit as many countries as I can, as often as my budget will allow. Since starting this blog in 2007, I've also worked as a freelance copywriter for an online travel publication. This only served to add even more must-see locations to my already extended list.
Follow me as I try to balance "real life" with exploring the world, all while trying to conquer a wickedly ironic case of homesickness.



27.5.10

Choosing East Coast hotels

In case you haven't picked it up already, I'm a unique sort of traveler. I prefer a ridiculously comfortable hotel, but I refuse to pay too much for it. The ability to find the best possible accommodations for the best possible price is a skill I've worked hard to perfect. I'm in the middle of that hunt right now for our trip to the East Coast in the autumn, and here's what I've found so far.

It is official: we'll be staying in two different Omni hotels in September. After such a brilliant experience with them in San Francisco, I've become a fan of Omni. And you get fabulous perks and sale prices when you sign up for their loyalty program. We'll be able to indulge ourselves in a bit of luxury for far less money than even less-than-comparable hotels.

The Omni Shoreham Hotel in DC comes very highly recommended, backed up against quiet Rock Creek Park, and I snagged a great price just before it skyrocketed for a number of conferences going on at the time. Then, the Omni Parker House in Boston also offered us a fabulous sale price on a junior suite, only after which I realized the hotel comes with a bit of history. And the loyalty program gets us free wi-fi and complimentary coffee and juice delivered to our room every morning in both hotels.

NYC, however, has proved to be a worthy opponent to my budget travel instincts. I always told myself I'd stay at The Library Hotel if I ever went to NYC, but that was before my lesson in just how mind-numbingly expensive NYC square footage really is. Finding a room that fit three people was my first challenge. Trying to include a kitchenette was the second. Finding the right neighbourhood was the third. Finally, finding it all at a price that didn't leave us completely broke has proven to be the ultimate test.

I've finally settled on a Marriott Residence Inn near Bryant Park that comes with a full comp'd breakfast and afternoon snacks. I'm currently playing the waiting game on a high-floor package to see if prices don't take a bit of a dip as we get closer to the end of the high tourist season. I'll admit, though, that I'm nervous, because it has become crystal clear that you can easily spend a small fortune on NYC lodging. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Make sure that you pick up a Parker House roll when you stay there; they are equally famous! (That hotel is a great choice; it is in a really convenient location, right near the Boston Common and the State House.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails