.



I'm a 37-year old Seattle girl who was bitten by the travel bug on my first tour of Europe in 2004. This personal blog follows my attempts to visit as many countries as I can, as often as my budget will allow. Since starting this blog in 2007, I've also worked as a freelance copywriter for an online travel publication. This only served to add even more must-see locations to my already extended list.
Follow me as I try to balance "real life" with exploring the world, all while trying to conquer a wickedly ironic case of homesickness.



26.4.09

Why Not Linger?

I've spent the last six years investing in travel. Not irresponsibly, mind you. We have savings for a rainy day, and we put a little bit toward our pension every month. But we don't live for the housing market or a fat portfolio of stocks. We simply put a higher value on memories than dollars, and that works just fine for us. But the most frustrating part has been the incredulous ridicule from "responsible" people that can't understand why we would prefer to invest in life experiences as opposed to a bigger 401K.

Then the recession hit and the tables turned...quickly. All of the sudden, our outlook doesn't seem so foolish, and I'm grateful that the rolling of the eyes and the constant "advice" has almost entirely ceased. Now it is my turn to look at these former CEOs and powerhouse business people that seem lost without their fat wallets and their huge houses. If I were to offer them advice, it would sound an awful lot like this great article from this month's issue of National Geographic Traveler.

1 comment:

Lisa-Marie said...

This has been much the same for me. Dave and I spend most of our 'spare' money doing fun stuff - trips, numerous gigs, art/music supplies, books - these are things that enrich our lives. We are both still students, and we are only 25 and 26, so I think as long as our mortgage and car are paid for every month, we've got a little bit of assurance. I would much rather live in the moment and have new and varied experiences than save every penny just incase.


I applaud your approach to life!

Related Posts with Thumbnails