.



I'm a 37-year old Seattle girl who was bitten by the travel bug on my first tour of Europe in 2004. This personal blog follows my attempts to visit as many countries as I can, as often as my budget will allow. Since starting this blog in 2007, I've also worked as a freelance copywriter for an online travel publication. This only served to add even more must-see locations to my already extended list.
Follow me as I try to balance "real life" with exploring the world, all while trying to conquer a wickedly ironic case of homesickness.



16.6.08

Samantha Brown

Initally, her giggly nature and the exorbitantly high prices on "Great Hotels" made me resent her. But now, Sam Brown seems more like a good friend. She's comforted me from Hawaii while I was home sick on my sofa, she's told me all about South America while I cooked countless dinner, she's romanced me from Europe as I ate lunches on rushed afternoon breaks. I don't know how that girl travels as much as she does, but it she ever needed an assistant, I'd shoot my CV off so fast...

After reading this, reposted from The Travel Channel's website, I like Sam Brown even more now:

As I was focusing in with my camera, a firefighter looked out of the window of his truck and said,"Hey! Are you that girl from the Travel Channel? You have the best job in the world."

It's a phrase I welcomingly hear every single day, not only from firefighters, but from busboys, housekeeping, golfing CEOs, my dentist, high school students on a field trip, even other television hosts. I have been on the Travel Channel now for eight years! It was a job I never dreamed I would have, and in that time I have changed immensely. When we started with "Passport to Europe," I was more of check things off your list type of traveler, very intimidated by straying from the tourism trail that was reassuringly written in English. But after months of being away from my family and friends, my desire to be around the locals, to go to their cafés, restaurants and parks became much more intense. Being around someone else's everyday gave me my own sense of familiarity. Watching and being around people with their loved ones fulfilled the part of me that ached for home, and at the same time, made me feel like I didn't want to be anywhere else in the world. People live vicariously through me, and I live vicariously through people.

Sam

1 comment:

DeborahSW said...

I really like her too, despite not wanting to at first - I thought she was the Rachael Ray of travel, but she's actually fun to watch! And I'm totally jealous of her job...

Related Posts with Thumbnails