.



I'm a 37-year old Seattle girl who was bitten by the travel bug on my first tour of Europe in 2004. This personal blog follows my attempts to visit as many countries as I can, as often as my budget will allow. Since starting this blog in 2007, I've also worked as a freelance copywriter for an online travel publication. This only served to add even more must-see locations to my already extended list.
Follow me as I try to balance "real life" with exploring the world, all while trying to conquer a wickedly ironic case of homesickness.



2.1.08

Seven Sisters

Ever since Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman stumbled out of their little boat and kissed the beach under the the chalky cliffs of Southern England in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves", I've dreamt of visiting them. I was ecstatic to visit Dover for the first time in 2004 and again in 2005. (Everyone that's been to little Dover is chuckling at me right now...)

But something wasn't right; I couldn't quite check this off my Life List yet. My little girl dreams always involved sitting on the top of the highest spot of those white cliffs and dangling my toes over the side. Now, my somewhat grownup consciousness realizes that sitting on the edge of a chalk cliff is nothing more than foolish, but that doesn't mean I can't climb to the top and get within a few yards of the edge, right?

Well, I've found the spot to do just that: Seven Sisters Country Park in East Sussex:


But here's the tradeoff: no direct train lines, no direct bus lines, no private day trips...and the weather. Even though it's not too far from London in terms of miles, I've heard it could take 3-4 hours to finally stand up there and feel like the king (ahem, queen, excuse me) of the world. Now, the weather I could deal with; a stormy Channel might actually be rather cool to encounter. But an 8 hour round trip? Hmmm... Just how bad do I want this?

1 comment:

noisy penguin said...

If you go to the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland, you can get pretty close to the edge (they don't really want you to...I sat on the edge though). And they're 1,000 feet high, not just 350, so you could feel like a super queen!

Related Posts with Thumbnails